E F M P Logo - Exceptional Families Exceptional Service

Adults with Special Needs

Housing Assistance Programs

Image of a binder opened to the second section entitled Independent Living. On the open binder page is a text box.

Text reads: Title: Independent Living - Housing Assistance Programs. Housing Subsidy Options - Section 8 of the Housing Act: assists low-income and disabled individuals in securing housing using two types of portable subsidies. The first subsidy helps qualified individuals pay their rent. The second subsidy helps qualified first-time home buyers pay their mortgage. For additional Information on Section 8 housing, visit the Department of Housing and Urban Development(HUD) website. Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program: federally funded, state-administered program. Helps with bill payments, energy crises, weatherization, and energy-related home repairs. Information on L I H E A P can be found through the Department of Health and Human Services(H H S) website or by calling the National Energy Assistance Referral (NEAR) project at (866) 674-6327.

Individuals with disabilities may be eligible for housing and household assistance through several federal/state programs if they plan on living away from their sponsor or family. There are several types of housing and household assistance that help people with special needs afford appropriate housing in the private sector. Some are listed here, others are available and explained by state and territory on the Disability.gov website.

Department of Housing and Urban Development
Department of Health and Human Services
Equal Opportunity
Independent Living
AWSN Resources